On the 14th of October we started off with our first under 14 league football match against Kinsale. We knew it was going to be a hard game, and straight from the throw in Mitchelstown took control with quick points from Mark Keane, Matthew Dawson Furey and Jamie O Brien. Matthew Dawson Furey gave Mark Keane a great ball and Mark crashed it to the back of the net. Mitchelstown were well on top at this stage. Tomas Vaughan was gaining a lot of possession at centre forward and scored 3 excellent points. Kinsale never gave up, and from a quick break and with our defenders doing their best Kinsale inched in a goal. They then collected the rebound from the goal kick and got a second goal. The Mitchelsotwn boys recovered well a fine passing movement involving Matthew Dawson Furey and Paddy Pigott was finished in some style to the back of the net by full forward Jamie O’Brien. Jamie then added 2 further points. Kinsale made changes but could not wrest control from Mitchelstown, and Matthew Dawson Furey completed the scoring in the first half, kicking a couple of great frees off the ground and from the hand. At half time the score was 3-9 to 2 goals.

The young footballers at Mitchelstown CBS have gotten the year off to a fine start, with both the under 14 and under 15 sides recording fine victories.

The Under-15 footballers had their first match of the season on September 25th in Rathbane, Co.Limerick, playing  against Nenagh in the Munster championship.

On Tuesday last, October 15th, the Mitchelstown CBS senior hurlers travelled to Fermoy to contest the Cork County Colleges B quarter final against Glanmire’s Coláiste an Phiarsaigh. Captain Shane Frewen opted to play against the wind in the first half. Keen to press home the advantage, Coláiste an Phiarsaigh struck over the first scores before Mitchelstown opened their account in the tenth minute courtesy of a pointed free from Joseph O’Sullivan. From the puck-out the Glanmire school secured possession and their full-forward goaled with a fantastic strike. Mitchelstown replied with three points from John O’Sullivan but Coláiste an Phiarsaigh added points also to leave them 8 points ahead. The game swung in their favour as the half wore on and they capitalised with points from frees and play. A great run by Shane McNamara resulted in a free for Mitchelstown and Joseph pointed to leave the half time score 1-15 to 1-05.